Pages

About Me

My photo
I'm Kyle, and I forget when I start my laundry. Also, I am a small human being and apparently a college student. I laugh a lot - usually in my brain, and usually when nobody else laughs. Oh, and I've probably consumed more Skittles than any other human being on planet earth.
Powered by Blogger.

The Impossible Dream

Wednesday, June 20, 2012


I'm in love.

Sort of.

But I'm not in love with a person, rather an idea. This is not unusual for me. 

Sometimes I just love the idea of falling in love with a person because it would be so convenient - it would save time, effort, money, heartache, and failure - what's not to like?! Sometimes I love the idea of loving somebody when I know they don't, and won't, feel the same way - "there's a continuous low-grade suffering that becomes a sort of addiction in its own right" and at times I just can't help myself. 

(And yes, that link sends you to an article about soccer. Read it.)

But here's the problem - I already do a lot of settling in my life. I settle out of necessity, and it doesn't bother me at all - in fact I kind of enjoy it, but I can only settle for so many things. I drive an old (ish) car I don't like; I buy microwave burritos, cheap toilet paper, and Wal-Mart bread; I live in a modest but ghetto-ish apartment, wearing clothes that are far from 'hip' (they usually don't even match...), keeping warm under a blanket that I've had since third grade. I could continue, as I'm sure we all could, but I think you understand what I'm saying. I do settle for less in many aspects of my life, and I enjoy it - it makes sense to settle (in these instances) - it saves me time, money, and energy - all to be spent on more important things (like school, maybe?). But when it comes to love (I'm using the L-word a lot in this post..I must be getting old) I can't make myself settle for less - it wouldn't be fair to me, and it wouldn't be fair to the other half of the equation.

So what am I looking for? What am I holding out for? Well, I want a love that makes me feel vulnerable and safe at the same time; I want to feel lost at sea yet right at home, out of my league but somehow right where I belong. I want a love that doesn't make sense, yet makes perfect sense; that makes other people ask questions while answering all of mine. I want to know exactly why, or for whom, I'm getting out of bed in the morning. I want to feel, some days, like we've never met yet never been apart. I want to feel like it was all worth it - like I finally got something right.

In matters of love, it seems, we experience more disappointment than success; more heartache than happiness. So often we find ourselves saying "( I ) hoped for better, but it turned out as it always does." (Viktor Chernomyrdin)

"It's the hope that kills you. Disappointment is never far off." - James Appell

I don't know if a love like I'm looking for actually exists, or if it's simply the product of too many movies and sappy quotes. This may come as a surprise to you, but I am no expert in the field of love and I freely admit that I may be looking for too much. While it may be the hope that kills me, that makes sure I stay acquainted with disappointment, it also tells me there is so much more. 

So I will continue to hope - to believe that there is something more out there and that the wait will be worth it. Then I will continue to hope against hope - to search for that which may not exist, to strive to accomplish that which may be impossible - because when it comes to love, I can't afford to settle for anything less.


"There's a time when a man needs to fight, and a time when he needs to accept that his destiny is lost, that the ship has sailed, and that only a fool will continue. The truth is, I've always been a fool."

No comments:

 

Popular Posts